Beginners Guide to Your First Tournament

Ahoi,

After spending a couple days in Tokyo practicing Super Street Fighter Arcade Edition and then playing in the Indonesian Fighting Game Championship(Props to Advance Guard for hosting such an awesome fighting game tournament), I’ve learned a bunch of new things and much of the experience from MtG tournaments came back to me.

  • Murphy’s Law is your Biggest Opponent:  Don’t think your arcade stick will break?   It will.  Hoping to get an easy bracket?  You won’t, enjoy playing pros round two.   80% of the battle is played in the game, the other 20% is not letting Murphy’s Law distract you from winning.
    Darth Vader is Broken Tier

    Think Darth Vader will obey the rules, well……

  • CAN YOU HEAR THE HYPE?!?!?!:  For a lot of players, their gaming atmosphere is often sitting at home playing SSF4/KoFXIII/etc online or hanging out with some friends, relatively quiet with maybe some music in the background or your friends having a conversation on how your character is cheap.  Now think of how loud the last concert/sporting event/etc you went to was and imagine that noise right behind you while you’re playing.
  • Your Opponent isn’t Psychic, You just hit Buttons like a game of Wack a Mole:   If you’re going to be playing side by side, you and you opponent will be able to see each other’s hands moving as well hear each other’s buttons.  This may not seem like much, but if your opponent hears/sees you button mashing after getting knocked down, they have a good idea what you’re trying to do.
  • Don’t let Downtime knock you down and out:  Most online warriors are spoiled in that when they want to play a match, they have their next match at their fingertips, one right after another.  Real tournaments don’t work that effeciently despite how much work the tournament organizers put in, people go get food/take a piss break/just leave without telling anybody/etc.
    Having to keep alternating between peak performance and resting is taxing and adds up quickly in a long event.
  • Outside of a match, Everybody is really Cool:  The only time that is taken seriously at a tournament is during a match, besides that everybody is there to learn how to get better, meet other players and most of all, have a good time.
    I flew into Jakarta for the Indonesia Fighting Game Championships not knowing anybody and ended up having one of the best weekends of my life hanging out with Zhi and Xian, getting to know a bunch of Indonesian players and learning a lot about Indonesia in the process (their food is god tier).
  • Brain Food doesn’t come from a Vending Machine:  Eating Doritos and chugging Mountain Dew may be your go to food during an all nighter but during a tournament, you need to be at your best, eat/sleep well and drink lots of water to keep hydrated.

If you have any other words of wisdom for fellow Super Street Fighter Arcade Edition beginners, post them in the comments.

2 comments on “Beginners Guide to Your First Tournament

  1. Use your input sounds to your advantage.
    You can use the button and stick movement sound to your advantage to bait your opponent.

  2. Coldman says:

    Indeed, most sticks have 2 extra ‘scrub’ buttons on the side that are mapped to all 3 punches/kicks by default. Unmap them in button settings and use them to bait the opponent.

Your Thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s